Why the Need for LTCI?
In the last 10 years, the number of community-based family physicians in BC has increased by about 10%. Over this same period, the number of family physicians delivering long-term care (LTC) services dropped by about 13%. It’s also anticipated that there will be a 120% growth in the LTC population in the next 20 years.
In order to address the downward trend in the number of physicians providing services in LTC, demographic changes, and local practice barriers, the Victoria and South Island Divisions of Family Practice have identified improving the care of patients in LTC as a key strategic priority. The two Divisions are working together to achieve this goal, through a variety of programs and strategies, including a local implementation of the General Practice Services Committee (GPSC) provincial LTCI.
Who's Involved in Our Local LTCI?
The Vic-SI LTCI is a collaboration between the Victoria and South Island Divisions of Family Practice, as well as Island Health. Our team includes physicians, board members, and program staff committed to creating a culture of medical excellence, teamwork, and sustainability for residents in LTC.
Our members are 85 physicians practicing at all 37 local LTC sites, caring for approximately 90% of the 3,441 residents in the Victoria-South Island region.
Vic-SI LTCI Steering Committee (left to right above)
- Catriona Park, Executive Director, Victoria Division of Family Practice
- Robin Saunders, Sooke Family Physician
- Katherine McKeen, Victoria Division of Family Practice member
- Tom Bailey, Vic-SI LTCI Co-Chair; Medical Director, Long Term Care, Island Health (1951-2019)
- Juna Cizman, Vic-SI LTCI Program Manager
- Margaret Manville, LTCI Co-Chair; Medical Director, Long Term Care, Island Health
- Mike Miles, Vic-SI LTCI Co-Chair; Victoria Family Physician
Additional Steering Committee Members (not pictured):
- Nikki Del Bel, South Island Division of Family Practice
- Peter Neweduk, Victoria Division of Family Practice member
- Ian Bekker, Victoria Division of Family Practice member
- Ben How, Victoria Division of Family Practice member
- David Brook, Victoria Division of Family Practice member
- Catherine Ryan, Nurse Practitioner in Victoria
Vic-SI LTCI Program Team
- Juna Cizman, Program Manager
- Sunita Maghera, Administrative Assistant
- Megan Schulz, Program Coordinator, Quality Improvement and Clinical Support
- Fiona Sudbury, Program Consultant, Quality Improvement and Facility Support
- Jessica Swinburnson, LTCI Operations Lead
- Cherie Wheeler, Program Coordinator, Quality Improvement and Communications